Thursday, August 26, 2010

Things Mothers Cringe At

I went to Yahoo News following this story of a regional airliner crash in China. I don't have any comment on the story, and I'm sure there will be much more information available by the time this post goes live. I present it merely as context for my distraction by the next story.

While I was on the site, I noticed this serief of pictures of an alligator in the Chicago River. Which is apparently in Chicago, Illinois. I love the look on the woman's face in the third picture her son looks at the alligator. That's what my mother looks like when I look at airplanes. Perfectly intact airplanes, not crashed ones. She's been flying with me a few times, but only when she's desperate to get somewhere, and her friends would know if she chickened out.

I figured Chicago was kind of far for these little alligators to have wandered north from their usual habitats in the southern swamps. This species is very very old, and has survived a lot of planetary upheaval, but migrating to Chicago still seems out of line. They haven't even colonized Kentucky yet. And yeah, quotes at the end of this story indicate that officials believe they (it's the second alligator found in that river recently) were freed pets. Why would you make a pet of something that could grow up to be four metres long and kill large ungulates on the hoof? I guess if you wanted to one-up the neighbour's pit bull.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Glad my mum, isn't the only scaredicat! Mum's rule is that until there is an aisle, toilet and a flight attendant she won't be flying with me!

Michael5000 said...

You know how it goes -- people get so fed up with their large ungulate infestation that they'll try anything. It's only later that they realize they've got a whole nother problem.

grant said...

Great Mom lines: "I used to think pilots were extra-special and felt confident flying. Now that you're a pilot I see that they're just human and I'm afraid when I fly..." Thanks mom...