Monday, September 19, 2011

Dauntless Aviation

I'm using software from Dauntless Aviation to study for the FAA exam. I definitely recommend it. It not only shows you all the questions you could see on the exam, with the correct answers, but highlights excerpts from the regulations that explain them and points out tricky parts of the questions. The merchant site is a little intimidating, but I think it's just that they are a very small company and hooked up with a somewhat aggressive payment processing company that they can't really rein in.
Today's confusion is over alternate requirements in the the US regulations. In Canada you always (with some very specialized op spec exceptions) require one alternate and there are complex but interpretable rules governing the weather conditions required to file a particular airport as your alternate. In the US you need one alternate, two alternates or zero alternates and whether you need them depends on what state you are flying in, the weather and possibly what operation type. I confess that I haven't got it all sorted out yet. I'm going to try and make a table of sorts:
PartTypeEngineLocation# alternatesRequired fuelOther
121flagturbine?02 hours

5 comments:

DataPilot said...

Are you there, Aviatrix and blog followers?

I am not familiar with Dauntless Aviation, and didn't post a comment sooner because I didn't think I had anything to add to the conversation. But the blog has gone silent for so long that I'm starting to wonder what happened.

Anoynmous said...

I can confirm that she's not gone entirely missing. It's just a conversation-stopping topic, I think.

Rhonda said...

Not just conversation-stopping, but post-stopping too. Is it just me or did that table stop without being completed? Or was it intended to have only one row?

BWI said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences here on your blog --- I enjoyed this post, and I'm looking forward to more.

Unknown said...

Heyya 'Trix,

Hope all is well in life as well as in your studying for your US ATPL.

Best,

Aaron