Thursday, September 27, 2012

[Prelude to] How Men Pack


I've been on the road a while. My computer no longer connects to the internet reliably, my single pair of shoes is getting kind of stinky, I'm down to my last pair of clean underwear, and we're almost out of onboard snacks.

For once we land before businesses close for the day. Google finds me a laundromat within walking distance, and while my clothes are going round and round, I find a mall. Shoe deodorizer isn't a product I've ever purchased. At home I do have five pairs of shoes and my shoes get to air out between uses.  But some advertisement or other has lodged in my subconscious and convinced me that what I want now is a can of magic shoe deodorizer. I buy a spray can of the stuff, and after swapping my laundry into the dryer and then hauling it back to the hotel, I try the product. I think it's essentially prettily-scented baking soda and a propellant, but I can't smell my shoes from across the room now.

I pack the bottle in a plastic bag before putting it in my luggage, just in case it explodes.

That reminds me. I picked up a couple of clues regarding the differential luggage weight between me and my coworker.  But that's going to wait until next time, because that was the third time I have opened this same blog entry, written less than one sentence and been called to work. I started writing it on September 12th. I'm now back from work and have other priority tasks, most of which won't be completed by the time I get called out again.

6 comments:

Paul Tomblin said...

Febreeze. It's a god send.

CC said...

If the aerosol can explodes, what makes you think the plastic bag will contain it? :-)

Sarah said...

If your luggage is anything like mine after a long trip, the exploding baking-soda / Febreeze can would be a mercy.

Wait - never mind. You visited a laundry. What a concept.

Cedarglen said...

Fun and funny - and thanks. You do know... if it was really important to you, you could find room for a second pair of shoes in your tote bag. Even a second pair, identical to the first would b e an improvement. No high-heals necessary, just a 'rested' pair of shoes for the next day. Hmm.

Aviatrix said...

It's not the room, it's the weight. I already have to throw this thing in and out of the airplane and taxicabs every day. I'm trying to cut weight, not add it.

zb said...

Be assured that electronics designers work eagerly at squeezing every extra 0.1 g out of their circuit boards and devices. We're already here to help...

All you need to do is not put a UNIVAC I into your carry-on bag. That would hurt in terms of room and weight.